Mechanical Engineer Position Description
Perform engineering duties in planning and designing tools, engines, machines, and other
mechanically functioning equipment. Oversee installation, operation, maintenance, and
repair of such equipment as centralized heat, gas, water, and steam systems. Design
mechanical and electromechanical products and systems by developing and testing
specifications and methods.
• Evaluate mechanical and electromechanical systems and products by designing and
conducting research programs; applying principles of mechanics, thermodynamics,
hydraulics, heat transfer, and materials.
• Confirm system and product capabilities by designing feasibility and testing methods;
• Develop mechanical and electromechanical products by studying customer
requirements; researching and testing manufacturing and assembly methods and
materials; soliciting observations from operators.
• Develop manufacturing processes by designing and modifying equipment for
fabricating, building, assembling, and installing components.
• Assure system and product quality by designing testing methods; testing finishedproduct
and system capabilities; confirming fabrication, assembly, and installation
• Prepare product reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and
• Provide engineering information by answering questions and requests.
• Keep equipment operational by coordinating maintenance and repair services;
following manufacturer's instructions and established procedures; requesting special
• Maintain system and product database by writing computer programs and entering data.
• Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops
and reviewing professional publications.
• Read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings, schematics, and computer-generated
• Confer with engineers and other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve
system malfunctions, and provide technical information.
• Research and analyze customer design proposals, specifications, manuals, and other
data to evaluate the feasibility, cost, and maintenance requirements of designs or
• Specify system components or direct modification of products to ensure conformance
with engineering design and performance specifications.
• Research, design, evaluate, install, operate, and maintain mechanical products,
equipment, systems and processes to meet requirements, applying knowledge of
• Investigate equipment failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operation, and to make
recommendations to maintenance crew.
• Assist drafters in developing the structural design of products, using drafting tools or
computer-assisted design/drafting equipment and software.
• Oversee installation, operation, maintenance, and repair to ensure that machines and
equipment are installed and functioning according to specifications.
• Conduct research that tests and analyzes the feasibility, design, operation and
performance of equipment, components and systems.
• Recommend design modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions.
• Develop and test models of alternate designs and processing methods to assess
feasibility, operating condition effects, possible new applications and necessity of
• Develop, coordinate, and monitor all aspects of production, including selection of
manufacturing methods, fabrication, and operation of product designs.
• Establish and coordinate the maintenance and safety procedures, service schedule, and
supply of materials required to maintain machines and equipment in the prescribed
• Study industrial processes to determine where and how application of equipment can be
• Write performance requirements for product development or engineering projects.
• Design test control apparatus and equipment and develop procedures for testing
• Provide documentation, detailed instructions, drawings, or specifications to tell others
about how devices, parts, equipment, or structures are to be fabricated, constructed,
assembled, modified, maintained, or used.
• Enter, transcribe, record, store, or maintain information in written or electronic form.
Education: Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
Desired Skills: Design, Conceptual, General Consulting, Control Engineering,
Production Planning, Requirements Analysis, Presenting Technical Information,
Equipment Maintenance, Decision Making, Mathematical, Complex Problem Solving,
Critical Thinking skills.